Build your own dragon! I envisioned this dragon for my Game of Thrones Season 5 finale party. I ran out of time to create the head, so the tail and wings
- 12 yards of dragon-like fabric. I found this fabric with scales at our local upholstery fabric outlet. The wider the fabric, the better.
- 8 yards of curtain lining fabric. I used white since it would only be seen from the inside of my staircase.
- 1 spool of 1 inch wide bias tape or I used this 1 inch twill tape from Amazon.
- hoop steel
- (2) 0.5inch by 6ft flat steel rods from Lowes
- safety pins
- zip ties for attachment to stairs
- Ribbon or shoe strings
- thread for sewing machine
- I measured the size of my spiral staircase to determine the length of my dragon trail. I laid out my fabric and cut a giant triangle that gradually tapered to a point that was around the length of my stairs. I cut the same length and shape with my lining fabric. View of my outer fabric:
- With just the lining fabric, I sewed the the bias tape down on each side to create rows for the skeleton of the tail. The bias tape is just a channel to hold the hoop steel.
- I sewed the lining to the outer dragon fabric once the hoop steel was cut to size of the channel and inserted. I then sewed ribbon/shoe strings to each end of the channels so I could adjust the roundness of the tail and make it curved. See photo below.
- The tail is attached by poking small holes in the tail with scissors and attached to the stairs with zip ties but I was also able to use the boning ties as well:
- For the wings, I cut a wing shape with the outer fabric and left a few inches at the top to create a pocket for the flat steel rod:
- I folded the top over to create a pocket (just like a curtain) and inserted the rod. The wings are attached the stairs with zip ties.
- Done! Enjoy your new house dragon!